About the Position
JOB TITLE: Youth Camp Chaplain
DEPARTMENT: Camp Marshall
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
EXEMPT STATUS: FLSA Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Volunteer Clergyperson for one week between June – August
POSITION SUMMARY: Camp Marshall hosts the Camp Chaplain for each week of camp. The Chaplain offers pastoral care to campers and staff and facilitates daily worship at camp.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Works cooperatively with Executive Director, Camp Marshall Program Director, and Camp Summer Staff. Receives guidance and supervision from the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
✦ Participates in each evening staff meetings.
✦ Before departing camp, write a post for the camp blog reflecting on the week of camp.
✦ Provides pastoral care to campers and staff.
✦ Offers structured “Chaplains hours” each day in which campers can seek out prayer or pastoral care.
✦ Facilitates daily worship.
· Plans and facilitates meaningful youth participation in the camp’s daily liturgy.
· Leads a daily Eucharist using assigned Scripture texts (except during Grace Camp).
· Offers a homily each day which responds to the day’s assigned Scripture texts.
· Communicates with staff at lest 24 hours before homily so staff can coordinate learning objectives from homily with afternoon Christian formation activities.
· Meets with youth who assist in liturgy before and after the day’s Eucharist to train them and to facilitate active reflection on their experience leading worship.
· Available to facilitate small group reflection.
✦ Participates in the common life of the camp community.
✦ Helps lead compline / participate in campfire as needed.
✦ Participates in one or more evening activity (i.e., talent night, waterfront night).
✦ Assists Executive Director to facilitate youth reflection on the week of camp during the closing Eucharist and BBQ.
✦ May collaborate with staff in planning executing Christian formation activities but not lead such activities.
· Ordained priest approved for service by the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Montana.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL(S):
✦ Knowledge: N/A.
· Comfortable leading large groups. Facilitating discussion and directing small group reflection.
· Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the operation of the Camp.
· Interacts professionally with all with whom contact is made.
· Works effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
· Ordained priest.
· Current in training in all Safeguarding training material or must complete and certify (obtained at pre-camp training activities).
· Enthusiasm for working with youth.
· Available to guide staff as they learn to lead worship, offer grace and as they practice leading cabin devotions.
· Willing to model practices of holy listening and small group facilitation for staff.
· Willing to participate in and offer feedback from daily camp activities including meals, recreation activities and evening campfires.
✦ Preferred: N/A.
Sedentary: Primarily sitting/lifting 10 lbs maximum.
XXLight: Lifting 20 lbs max with frequent carrying/lifting up to 10 lbs.
Medium: Lifting 50 lbs max with frequent carrying/lifting up to 20 lbs.
Heavy: Lifting ***100 lbs max with frequent carrying/lifting up to ***50 lbs.
Very Heavy: Lifting objects over ***100 lbs w/frequent carrying/lifting up to ***50 lbs
***Lifting in excess of 50 lbs requires assistance or use of assistive devices***
✦ Physical Factors:
Checked are the appropriate factors for this position:
0= Occasionally 33% of the work shift
F= Frequently 34-66% of the work shift
C= Constantly 67-100% of the work shift
N/A= Not Applicable for this position 0%
Physical Factors N/A O F C
Standing ____ ____ _x__ ____
Walking ____ ____ _x__ ____
Sitting ____ _x__ ____ ____
Pushing (100+) __x_ ____ ____ ____
Pulling (100=) __x_ ____ ____ ____
Stooping ____ ____ _x___ ____
Kneeling ____ ____ _x__ ____
Crouching ____ ____ _x___ ____
Reaching ____ ____ _x___ ____
Filing __x_ ____ ____ ____
Typing (computer) ____ _x__ ____ ____
Photocopying ____ _x__ ____ ____
Talking ____ ____ _x__ ____
Hearing ____ ____ ____ _x__
Color Vision ____ ____ ____ _x__
Driving ____ _x__ ____ ____
Factors N/A O F C
Exposure to Weather ____ _x__ ____ ___
Extreme Heat ____ _x__ ____ ____
Extreme Cold ____ _x__ ____ ____
Noise ____ ____ _x___ ____
Vapors ____ ____ _x___ ____
Dust, fumes ____ ____ _x___ ____
Odors ____ ____ _x___ ____
Signature of Incumbent Date
Be a part of the team:
This summer we will be looking at our Baptismal Covenant